Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Eat your front yard



I was reading my ReadyMade magazine on the train and saw a review of the book Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn. The idea is to convert your front yard into a garden full of veggies. Brilliant! Yards are a huge drain of water and resources. And you don't have to mow a garden. AND you get to eat your own homegrown vegetables. You could make dinner without even leaving your house!

A few years ago, when I was living in Ann Arbor, Michigan, I was planting some veggies near the side of my house. A friend stopped by.
friend: "Wow! You know how to plant food?!? That you can eat?!?"
me: "Yes. It's easy. Dig a hole, stick a plant in it, cover the roots with dirt. Water it once in a while. Pull weeds once in a while. In a month or two, pick and eat. Tasty."
friend: "That seems really easy."

Gone are the days of people planting food and sewing simples fixes to their clothes. It's often not as daunting as it seems. I have high hopes that do-it-yourselfing is making a comeback in a big way. I wouldn't be blogging about all this if I didn't.

2 comments:

  1. Nicola at GeekwareJuly 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM

    Hi Tiffany,
    That's an awesome picture!
    We have done a similar thing in our front yard this year and your post has inspired me to share some photos of our gardening ventures. Take a peek at our front yard garden here: http://www.geekware.ca/blog/?p=146

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! great photos! i can't believe it was -19 in April!
    But it makes the summer veggies that much more worth it.

    ReplyDelete