Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Greenopia in Brooklyn



I've spent the last few months helping the guide Greenopia find green businesses near my live/work studio in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I already knew there were a lot of great green restaurants and stores in my 'hood, but now I have even more on my list of places I want to go to.

Greenopia is this really awesome green guide that has already been published in LA and San Francisco. Think a green version of the Zagat's guide. It finds all of the eco-friendly businesses in a city, compiles it and puts it all in one place. After working on the guide and seeing the huge amount of information that is gathered for each business I can definitely recommend this book. Word is that the NYC guide will be published in time for Earth Day (April 22). I'll let you know once it hits stores.

A few of my fave Williamsburg restaurants that I uncovered during my research include Urban Rustic (grocery store, coffee shop, and deli all-in-one. the food is awesome!), Fette Sau(for when you need your organic meat fix. Fette Sau literally means fat pig), and Brooklyn Label. They all use local produce and organic meat when possible and are all just plain tasty. Yum!

And for when you need to shop for household goods and clothes, be sure to check out Sodafine and Om Sweet Home. I can't wait for the guide to come out so I can see all the other green places in NYC that I've been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment